Friday, October 10, 2014

Bedroom Paint Teaser


I think we have been painting off and on for about 7 weeks now. It's my fault because I decided to do a more elaborate paint pattern in the boys room. I thought I would try out stripes in one bedroom and decide after that if I wanted to do the second bedroom. Unfortunately/Fortunately it is turning out better than I expected. That means I have two bedrooms to do....two bedrooms that are larger than the bedrooms at our old house.
Since we only seem to have evenings to work on projects like painting, the boys have been taking turns having "sleep overs" in the other brother's room. Once they are asleep, they don't hear a thing and we can work on whatever we want. I think we've run saws in the next room while they've slept!

Here are the colors that they chose. They had free rein to pick whatever they wanted in their rooms. I guess I should say "free rein within reason" because we had to veto the first idea. B was really pushing for a rainbow room. It wasn't that I didn't think rainbows were a good idea, it was that we didn't want to buy all those different colors of paint!
See if you can guess which kid goes with which color. If you've spent time with the boys over the past few months, this will be easy for you. :)

Bright Blue with Greige
(Slight color cast in this photo, sorry). 
Bright Green with Gray

We purchased the light switch covers this year at the Ann Arbor Art Fair (they also decided to buy the same covers).
The green room is 90% done. I'm scaling down my original paint plans but I still want to add in an accent stripe. The blue room is about 70% complete. I think the final results will be very cool and very grown up...more "boy" room versus "toddler" room... and should last them a number of years. 
Halloween is fast approaching so I have some other projects taking up my time. Hopefully the bedrooms will be done by Christmas. Kidding! I hope.

I also learned a nifty little paint trick...wrapping and putting your wet paint tray and rollers in the freezer until your next use. If you haven't heard about this one, you can read the tips here from Home Depot, although I originally saw the article on This Old House. This has saved me countless hours in clean up. The article says store overnight, but I've put the rollers in my chest freezer for a week and they were fine.
If you have heard about this then I ask you, dear friends and family, why did you not share this with me?!! It has been the biggest time saver especially since I only paint for about an hour at a time.
And on that note, I'd better get back to work. Up next...Laundry room reveal! 

1 comment:

  1. Well your parents put paintbrushes in the freezer a long time ago. Perhaps you were not interested at that time.

    ReplyDelete